15 noiembrie 2016

Movie of the Day: Love in the Afternoon (1957)

Gary Cooper (Frank Flannagan) & Audrey Hepburn (Ariane Chavasse / Thin Girl)

2h 10min | Comedy, Crime, Drama | 30 June 1957 (USA)

Director: Billy Wilder
Writers: Billy Wilder & I.A.L. Diamond (screenplay), Claude Anet (novel)
Stars: Gary Cooper, Audrey Hepburn, Maurice Chevalier

Memorable Quotes


Ariane Chavasse: I'm against violence. In my opinion, there's too much shooting in the world, and not enough love.
Frank Flannagan: How's that, again?
Ariane Chavasse: I mean, if people loved each other more, they'd shoot each other less!

Claude Chavasse: This is a great honor. Come right in, Mr. Flannagan.
Frank Flannagan: You know me?
Claude Chavasse: Do I know you? Does an art student know Picasso?

Ariane Chavasse: Papa, you are a cynic!
Claude Chavasse: I guess I am.
Ariane Chavasse: You enjoy your work!
Claude Chavasse: I guess I do.
Ariane Chavasse: You'd enjoyed it even if you weren't paid for it!
Claude Chavasse: I wouldn't go that far.

Ariane Chavasse: You know who I am, Mr. Flannagan, I'm the girl in the afternoon.

Frank Flannagan: [on knowing about his numerous conquests] Aren't you a little too young for that?
Ariane Chavasse: I was about to ask you a similar question. Aren't you a little too old for that?
Frank Flannagan: That hurts! First you save a man's life, then you stab him. Is that kind?

Ariane Chavasse: I always tell you what I'm doing, but you never tell me what you're doing.
Claude Chavasse: Because I love you and want to protect you from the sordid stuff I must deal with.
Ariane Chavasse: I bet when Mama was alive you told her what you were doing.
Claude Chavasse: Your Mama was a married woman. Ariane Chavasse: I'm so glad!

Ariane Chavasse: They're very odd people, you know. When they're young, they have their teeth straightened, their tonsils taken out and gallons of vitamins pumped into them. Something happens to their insides! They become immunized, mechanized, air-conditioned and hydromatic. I'm not even sure whether he has a heart.
Michel: What is he? A creature from outer space?
Ariane Chavasse: No. He's an American.

Frank Flannagan: Everything about you is perfect.
Ariane Chavasse: I'm too thin! And my ears stick out, and my teeth are crooked and my neck's much too long.
Frank Flannagan: Maybe so, but I love the way it all hangs together.

Frank Flannagan: He who loves and runs away, lives to love another day.

Monsieur X: Please, monsieur, is the news good or bad?
Claude Chavasse: That depends. Is this your wife?
[Hands over a photograph]
Monsieur X: It looks like her.
Claude Chavasse: Then I regret to inform you that it looks bad.
Monsieur X: Then there IS another man!
Claude Chavasse: There is. And I regret to say that he looks good.

Frank Flannagan: Goodbye, thin girl.
Ariane Chavasse: Goodbye, Mr. Flannagan.
Frank Flannagan: You promised.
Ariane Chavasse: You don't have to worry about me, Mr. Flannagan. There've been so many men before. There'll be so many after this. It's gonna be another one of those crazy years. While you're in Cannes, I'll be in Brussels with the banker. He wants to give me a Mercedes Benz, a blue one, it's my favorite color. And while you're in Athens, I'll be with the duke again in Scotland. But, I don't know whether I'll go yet, because another man's asked me to spend the summer with him in Deauville. He owns race horses. He's very rich. He's number twenty. I mean number twenty one, you're number twenty. So, you see Mr. Flannagan, I'll be perfectly all right. I'll... I'll be all right... I'll be all right!

[last lines]
Claude Chavasse: [voiceover] On Monday, August 24th of this year, the case of Frank Flannagan and Ariane Chavasse came up before the superior judge in Cannes. They are now married, serving a life sentence in New York, state of New York, USA.

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu