7 septembrie 2017

Movie of the Day: Spartacus (1960)

Kirk Douglas (Spartacus) and Jean Simmons (Varinia) in Spartacus (1960)
3h 17min | Adventure, Biography, Drama | 17 November 1960 (Brazil)


Director: Stanley Kubrick
Writers: Dalton Trumbo (screenplay), Howard Fast (based on the novel by)
Stars: Kirk Douglas, Laurence Olivier, Jean Simmons, Peter Ustinov, Charles Laughton

Memorable Quotes



Antoninus: I'm Spartacus! 
[everyone around Antoninus and Spartacus takes up the shout]

Antoninus: Are you afraid to die, Spartacus? 
Spartacus: No more than I was to be born.

Marcus Licinius Crassus: One of the disadvantages of being a Patrician is that occasionally you are obliged to act like one.

Julius Caesar: I thought you had reservations about the gods. 
Gracchus: Privately I believe in none of them - neither do you. Publicly, I believe in them all.

Julius Caesar: I thought you had reservations about the gods. 
Gracchus: Privately I believe in none of them - neither do you. Publicly, I believe in them all.

Spartacus: I am not an animal! Varinia: Neither am I.

Varinia: What are you thinking about? 
Spartacus: I'm free. And what do I know? I don't even know how to read. 
Varinia: You know things that can't be taught. Spartacus: I know nothing. Nothing. And I wanna know. I want to... I wanna know. 
Varinia: Know what? S
partacus: Everything! Why a star falls and a bird doesn't, where the sun goes at night, why the moon changes shape. I wanna know where the wind comes from. 
Varinia: The wind begins in a cave: far to the north, a young god sleeps in that cave. He dreams of a girl and he sighs, and the night wind stirs with his breath. 
[laughs] 
Spartacus: I wanna know all about you. Every line, every curve. I wanna know every part of you. Every beat of your heart.

Varinia: You like him, don't you. 
Spartacus: Who wants to fight? An animal can learn to fight. But to say beautiful things, and to make people believe them...

Spartacus: And maybe there's no peace in this world, for us or for anyone else, I don't know. But I do know that, as long as we live, we must remain true to ourselves.

Varinia: Please die, my love... die, die now my darling!

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu