13 mai 2017

Movie of the Day: Strangers on a Train (1951)

1h 41min | Crime, Film-Noir, Thriller | 30 June 1951 (USA)

Director:  Alfred Hitchcock
Writers: Raymond Chandler (screen play), Czenzi Ormonde (screen play)
Stars: Farley Granger, Robert Walker, Ruth Roman

Memorable Quotes


[first lines] 
Bruno Anthony: I beg your pardon, but aren't you Guy Haines?

Senator Morton: Poor unfortunate girl. 
Barbara Morton: She was a tramp. 
Senator Morton: She was a human being. Let me remind you that even the most unworthy of us has a right to life and the pursuit of happiness. 
Barbara Morton: From what I hear she pursued it in all directions.

Bruno Anthony: I admire people who do things.

Bruno Anthony: When's the wedding? 
Guy Haines: The what? Bruno Anthony: The wedding. It's in the papers. Guy Haines: Well, it shouldn't be. Not unless they legalized bigamy overnight.

Bruno: My theory is that everyone is a potential murderer.

Mrs. Cunningham: You know, I read of a case once. I think it would be a wonderful idea! I can take him out in the car, and when we get to a very lonely spot, knock him on the head with a hammer, pour gasoline over him and over the car, and set the whole thing ablaze! 
[giggles] 
Bruno Anthony: [scowls] And have to walk all the way home? Oh, no. 
Mrs. Cunningham: [meek] No? Oh... 
Bruno Anthony: No, no. I have the best way, and the best tools. 
[raises hands] 
Bruno Anthony: Simple, silent, and quick - the silent part being the most important. Let me show you what I mean. You don't mind if I borrow your neck for a moment, do you? 
Mrs. Cunningham: [simpers] Well... if it's not for long!

Guy Haines: I may be old-fashioned, but I thought murder was against the law.

Barbara Morton: Oh, Daddy doesn't mind a little scandal. He's a senator.

Senator Morton: I'll have him called up immediately. 
Barbara Morton: Obstructing the wheels of justice, Daddy?

Guy Haines: It's pretty late to start flirting with a discarded husband.

Mrs. Anthony: Well, I do hope you've forgotten about that silly little plan of yours. 
Bruno Anthony: Which one? 
Mrs. Anthony: About blowing up the White House. 
Bruno Anthony: Oh, Ma, I was only fooling. Besides, what would the President say? 
Mrs. Anthony: You're a naughty boy, Bruno.

Barbara Morton: I still think it would be wonderful to have a man love you so much he'd kill for you.

Mrs. Anthony: Come see my painting. 
[walks into next room] 
Mrs. Anthony: Bruno, I do wish you would take up painting. It's such a soothing pastime. 
Bruno Anthony: [prolonged laugh] Oh, Mother, you're wonderful. That's the old boy, alright. That's Father. 
Mrs. Anthony: Is it? Oh. I was trying to paint Saint Francis.

Bruno: I have the perfect weapon right here: these two hands.

Bruno Anthony: Everyone has somebody that they want to put out of the way. Oh now surely, Madam, you're not going to tell me that there hasn't been a time that you didn't want to dispose of someone. Your husband, for instance?

Bruno Anthony: I have a theory that you should do everything before you die.

Bruno Anthony: How do you do, sir? I'd like to talk with you sometime, sir, and tell you about my idea for harnessing the life force. It'll make atomic power look like the horse and buggy. I'm already developing my faculty for seeing _millions_ of miles. And Senator: can you imagine being able to smell a flower - on the planet Mars? I'd like to have lunch with you someday soon, sir. Tell you more about it.

Guy Haines: You crazy maniac! Would you please get out of here and leave me alone? 
Bruno Anthony: But Guy... I like you. 
[offended, Guy punches Bruno in the face]

Senator Morton: One doesn't always have to say what one thinks.

Barbara Morton: Who's the interesting-looking Frenchman with the Darvilles? 
Guy Haines: His name's Antony... he's not French.

Bruno Anthony: Don't worry, I'm not going to shoot you, Mr. Haines. It might disturb Mother.

Det. Leslie Hennessey: [jumps into nearby car] Excuse me, madam. We need your help. We're chasing a man. 
Dowager: Really? How exciting.

Senator Morton: You had no trouble, of course, with the police once they verified your alibi? 
Guy Haines: When an alibi is full of bourbon, sir, it can't stand up.

Minister: [Last Lines] I beg your pardon, but aren't you Guy Haines? 
[Guy and Anne get up and walk away without saying a word to the man]

Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu